Saturday, May 06, 2006

Can money buy happiness?

"Whoever said money can't buy happiness didn't know where to shop!"

This was the theme for my lesson in class today. Would love to elaborate, but the four thirty power cut slot strikes any moment now...so will update later!

Hehehe...that was when the power went off...Well, learnt to live with that now. As I was saying, this new batch wanted me to do conversation practice in class. Many of them come from English medium schools and so they talk more. Well, I saw this article in the paper which said that Bill Gates DIDN'T want to be the richest man on the planet (Can you believe that?). So as starters I posed this question before the class: "Would it be really such a nice thing to be the richest person?" and "Can money buy happiness?" I told them to discuss that in groups and come forward one by one with their opinions. Hmm, I had expected a more animated discussion, but atleast they were all coming forward to speak. I should have had some controlled discussions first, but nevertheless. Next, I gave them the newspaper clipping (Asian Age, May 6, 2006). I had an urgent call and so I had to leave midway but I did tell them to read the thing and form atleast TEN sentences about what they feel about being the richest person. Next I plan to go over DIRECT/INDIRECT speech forms that are so ubiquitous in a report. It will help them nararate things they have read too. Lastly, I want them to underline the sentences in the report that have Past tense and Present tense and compare them. I know that grammar bit should have come before the writing task, but I didn't have the time.
Anyways, I have told them to carry a newspaper with them daily, along with a notebook only for my class, with a section devoted only as a personal glossary. Let's see.

As for my views on the topic? I sure DO think that money can buy happiness. Not ALL happiness, I agree, but a great deal of it! And I sure do know where to "SHOP"! I mean, who doesn't feel happy when he gets a brand new stylish car? Or a set of diamonds? Well, of course, none of these can actually GUARANTEE happiness...happiness is a state of mind; the richest can be the saddest and the poorest, well, the most content. Peace of mind, a loving family, friends, faith in God, these things bring ACTUAL happiness; however, once those are in place, money doesn't fail MISERABLY either. Now, don't get me wrong, I am no materialistic bitch; I know my priorities and God forbid that money becomes the top most one; it's just that it makes me happy to be able to buy my kid brother a cute piggy bank, or fund his summer camp too! (Not to mention, to be able to buy my own scooter and other little luxuries!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»