Monday, May 01, 2006

Some More Elt Ideas?

It's funny how all ideas come to you only when the ELT course is near its end. Grrrr. Maybe they are so hard to implement that the unconscious mind simply represses them when the course is underway! Hehehe. And to keep the ego happy, maybe it then allows the mind to spring up these ideas afterwards, when they can no lomger be implemented-so that atleast you can call yourself 'creative' towards the end!

Anyway, these are some more that struck me as being potentially useful:

One of the supervisors where I teach asked me if there was any considerable difference in the language competence of the students that I teach. They mostly comprise of students from non-English schools. Had to admit. I didn't know if there had been that much of a difference. He gave me a suggestion. He asked me to leave behind some 'samples' of 'good English wiriting' - essays and poems which he would make them learn and recite in class. Initially I had been sceptical about the idea. Learning and reciting borrowed material? But in retrospect it may be quite useful. As he said, poetry would expose them to some beautiful lines which they could quote in their essays later in their exams. Prose would acquaint them with style, new words, etc.; and because they would have learnt the material by heart, they would be under lesser pressure to speak 'it' before an audience. Our course concentrates on speaking skills over any other skill, so this may be useful. I am now just wondering where I could get such stuff....

No comments: