Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Meeting with the Princi today!

Yeah. A long meeting with the Principal of the college today. Must say, I respect Dr. Khan for his utmost dedication to his work. I just caught something he said...that we must never forget that we are teachers for the whole day, not teachers just for the six hours that we spend in college time. Well. I agree. But I still need my annual summer vacation. Thuogh I like his vision of empowering the youngsters in every possible way through our dedication, I don't quite fancy the idea of working through the hols! Especially since I have gotten my termination letter for this academic year. (Junior teachers have to reapply every new academic term). Well, it's worse for him I think- he hasn't gotten a vacation in 18 years!!! Phew!

So what was the meeting about? Well fresh high school 'scholars' arrive in the college this week. Most of 'em really bright and talented but from non English schools and quite a few of them not very well to do. The batch is selected from throughout the state and the neighboring ones as potential merit toppers. Often referred to as the 'cream'.
So then? Well, The Mission begins. Give 'em the best so that in two years they walk out from this college with admission letters from the best medical, dental, engineering colleges, et al; with the ability to speak and make presentations in English confidently, with know-how about using computers; with overall developed personalities, with orientations on religion, health and nutrition, public speaking skills, the works. And after their graduation, they should come back for some more training to take civil service examinations. Great vision, I know. So where do we fit in? Well, to equip them with English language skills of course! He gave some ideas...will elaborate on 'em soon I guess.

No comments: