Monday, May 01, 2006

Quote Unquote and the 'Speaking' Problem

Oh oh. I think I am on a writing spree. Guess the 'writer's block' is gonna hit pretty soon, but till that happens, I am makin' hay while the cerebral sun shines.

Ok. Here's another one. How about using quotations in the ELT class? It would be helpful if the students can quote famous lines, no? I mean, before they present their favorite quote to the class, they would have made SOME attempt to understand the meaning of it and make SOME MORE attempts to explain its meaning to the rest of the class. And there's the double advantage of the students being exposed to good writing and memorizing such lines. I guess it will help their own style and it always impresses the examiner if your essay contains sparkling wit or great words of wisdom.

So I have tried my hand at vocab, a li'l bit o' grammar, but I am still clueless about the MOST important bit-SPEAKING!!! This is supposed to be a SPOKEN ENGLISH COURSE! So while they are learning how to comprehend small passages, updating their vocabulary, learning a little about common grammatical mistakes (make that quite little), they still can't speak confidently or fluently!!! They still make numerous grammatical mistakes, their speech is disconnected and their vocabulary is not enough to hold a conversation...Now WHAT should I do about that? There might be improvement in their Receptive language skills (reading/listening), but I am struggling to etablish some Productive skills (especially speaking). I am still so clueless. What activities or methodology should I adopt that will help? Any answers anyone?

No comments: